Slate Development Loan
The Slate Development Loan program offers interest free loans for slate development to NSW production companies.
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis throughout the year.
Please see below for quick reference funding GUIDELINES. See above for a downloadable PDF.
We expect that development slates will mostly comprise projects from the genres eligible for Screen NSW funding.
However, some flexibility will be extended in the interests of slate diversity and economic viability.
The program provides interest free loans of up to $80,000 for up to five years.
Successful applicants who make a repayment and commence production in NSW within 12 months may be eligible to redraw the repayment amount together with a bonus loan of $15,000.
You must repay the loan from your next three productions and each repayment must be at least 30% of the outstanding loan.
Screen NSW will take a 10% share of the copyright in each of the projects comprising the minimum slate as security for the loan. We will reassign the rights to you once you have repaid the applicable amounts.
Funding may be used to fund or contribute to the funding of:
- a new business strategy to generate a cash flow stream
- development of a slate of three or more appropriate projects from story outline stage onwards, including option payments, writers’ fees, script editors’ fees, script-printing expenses etc.
- costs associated with financing projects, including overseas travel to markets, consultant fees to executive producers, legal fees etc.
- fees for the applicant(s) or other key members of creative team(s)
- infrastructure or running costs, including overheads, staff salaries, day-to-day and out-of- pocket expenses etc.
Screen NSW general eligibility requirements can be found in our Terms of Trade, which should be read in conjunction with these guidelines.
The Slate Development Loan program is targeted at significant production businesses and individuals in NSW with a commitment to production in NSW and a proven ability to repay the loan.
Applicants must have a slate of at least three projects where the majority would be eligible for NSW development investment and are designed to be produced or post produced in NSW.
Production service companies are not eligible.
Screen NSW is committed to supporting increased participation in the industry of people from under-represented groups including women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from CaLD backgrounds, people with disability, LGBTQI people, people from western Sydney and people from regional NSW. Priority will be given to teams including people from under-represented groups.
You must submit all the materials listed on the form, including information that demonstrates financial stability and capacity to repay.
Eligible applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- The level of the producer/production company’s generation of production in NSW
- The track record of the producer/production company
- Financial stability of the applicant and its capacity to repay the loan
- Strength of the minimum slate and the likelihood of the slate projects going into production
- The likelihood of sufficient overall production being generated to repay the loan.
Screen NSW may also consider the diversity and balance of companies supported under the program.
Further information on the assessment process
We may commission a confidential report from an external credit analyst. Development and Production team members assess projects across our entire suite of development and production programs.
Between four and six weeks from the date that we acknowledge receipt of a completed application.
For terms covering repayment of the loan please see Slate Loan Agreement Screen NSW.
Recipients cannot apply to the Early or Advanced Development programs until the loan is repaid, but can apply to other Screen NSW programs.
If you would like to provide feedback, or believe you have cause for complaint, please consult our Feedback, Review and Formal Complaints Procedures.
Director, Sector Investment
Development & Production
Phone: 02 9995 0962