In response to the evolving Covid-19 situation, Screen NSW is accepting applications for Market or Travel Funding on a case by case basis from applicants as borders open up. Please get in touch with a Screen Investment Manager to request a link to the application form after discussing your plans for travel.
During this time Screen NSW is taking steps to ensure the health and safety of our community is prioritised, and we are following latest advice being provided by NSW Health, and the Federal Department of Health.
We understand that this is a challenging time for individuals and organisations in our industry and Screen NSW will continue to support and champion the NSW screen sector.
We look forward to reinstating our Festival and Marketing Travel funding in full in due course, and we request your understanding and patience as we respond to the changing situation of international travel.
Click on the items below for the Market Travel guidelines
We fund travel associated with the development of:
- feature films
- adult and children’s television drama and narrative comedy including series, miniseries, web series and telemovies
- factual and documentary television or web programs and series animation series
- creative interactive screen entertainment
We do not fund travel associated with the development of:
- infotainment, lifestyle, travel, magazine, sports, education, game shows and other magazinestyle productions*
- current affairs and news programs community television programs
- shorts, short features (under 60 minutes) or experimental films
- interactive content that is not creative screen entertainment projects being developed as part of a course of study.
* For further guidance on the distinction between infotainment, lifestyle, magazine programs and documentary/factual programs refer to the advice on the ACMA website https://www.acma.gov.au/publications/2021-06/guide/documentary-guidelines
- Requests for travel support should generally not exceed $5,000.
- An individual or a team can submit up to three applications to this program in any financial year, but only one application at a time
- Generally we will not consider additional funding for a project that has a current application to another Screen NSW program
Recently funded projects and the amounts provided can be found under Funding Approvals.
International travel related to markets, industry trade missions and targeted trips of meetings aimed at securing finance for a project or slate of projects.
Screen NSW general eligibility requirements can be found in the Screen NSW Terms of Trade, which should be read in conjunction with these guidelines.
Applicants will generally be a NSW-based Key Creative, individual or company. If you are not based in NSW you must:
- Provide evidence of a genuine co-production partnership with a NSW-based company or producer OR
- Have at least one NSW based Key Creative (writer, producer or director) attached OR
- Satisfy Screen NSW that the proposed travel offers outstanding benefits to the NSW screen industry
You must intend to produce or post produce your project in NSW. You must hold the rights in your project.
Teams generally need to include a Key Creative with credits in a relevant genre. If your team does not have these credits, please provide other information demonstrating that you have the relevant market knowledge and relationships.
Screen NSW is committed to supporting increased participation in the industry of people from underrepresented groups including women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from CaLD backgrounds, people with disability, LGBTQI people, people from western Sydney and people from regional NSW.
Priority will be given to teams including people from under-represented groups.
Please contact a Screen Investment Manager to discuss applying for support to Travel to a Festival or Market before requesting the smartygrants application link.
All applications must be received through the Screen NSW online grants administration system, SmartyGrants.
You must submit all of the core materials listed on the online application form.
Projects need to demonstrate that the creative materials are at a market ready stage. If you are applying with a slate of projects provide the creative materials for the strongest project on the slate, plus an overview of the slate to be pitched and a précis of each of the other projects.
The creative materials required vary according to the project type:
- Features - a script and one page synopsis
- Documentary and factual programs - a script or detailed treatment
- TV and web drama - the series bible, scripts and/or episode outlines
- Interactive projects - a clear description of the story, journey or user experience.
- Please also provide web metrics and online location for any relevant previous projects, including the experience of the team.
You should also provide evidence of plans to maximise the potential of your content to be exploited across different formats and platforms – i.e. webisodes, mobile games.
Assessment materials should include CVs from all key project members.
A COVID-19 travel plan MUST be supplied, outlining the requirements of the country you are travelling to, the quarantine requirements of your destination and on your return to NSW.
Please provide details of vaccination requirements for travel, or medical exemptions to support your travel.
Please provide the COVID-safe practices of the festival/market you are travelling to if available.
Your application will be competitively assessed against the following criteria:
Whether the proposed travel is essential to advancing the financing of the project and/or the applicant’s slate, taking into account market readiness of the project(s) and the opportunities provided by the market or targeted meetings.
- The track record of the applicant including the financial track record and experience of the applicant and any key creatives.
- The appropriateness of the budget submitted.
- The potential of the project(s) to contribute to a robust screen industry in NSW.
Between six to eight weeks from the date that Screen NSW acknowledges receipt of a completed application.
Please note you will recieve a SmartyGrants acknowledgement of submission. We will send a separate acknowlegdement.
If you would like to provide us with feedback, or believe you have cause for complaint, please consult our Feedback, Review and Formal Complaints Procedures.