NSW is Australia's pre-eminent state for film and television production, with nearly 57% of all Australians employed in the screen production industry based in NSW and 47% of all Australian production and post-production businesses located in NSW.
The NSW Government is committed to making the state the most attractive destination in Australia for screen production. Since the release of the Local Government Filming Protocol 2009, Government agencies and state authorities have continued to follow the same policy as the local government authorities in facilitating filming by supporting the Film Friendly Protocol.
It is the NSW Government's policy to reduce red tape and provide the highest possible level of co-operation with filmmakers to encourage screen production and thereby attract investors, job creation, growth in the economy and maintain the position of NSW as the premier destination for screen production in Australia.
In February 2021, the NSW Government released the updated Premier's Memorandum 'Making NSW Film Friendly'.
Ministers, Chief Executive Officers and Film Contact Officers will continue to ensure that:
- there is a cooperative attitude in dealing with filming requests;
- applications for access are processed promptly;
- access to locations is supported wherever possible and should not be unreasonably withheld;
- clear reasons for refusal should be provided and alternative arrangements for sites offered if possible;
- fees are kept to a minimum and should only reflect costs.
- Agencies should permit filming activities and/or make locations and facilities available for filmmakers where possible, taking into account public amenity, safety, security and other operational requirements. Requests for agency services should receive a positive response wherever possible.
- Where filming access, services or approvals cannot reasonably be given, the filmmaker should be advised as early as possible of this response, reasons given for it, and alternatives suggested if possible.
Memorandum M2021-06 Making NSW Film Friendly
This Memorandum replaces M2014-04 Making NSW Film Friendly.